May 6, 2022
https://www.astro.noa.gr/darkskies/index.html| 16-17 May 2022 | Time: 16.30-20.30
The two-day event aims to raise awareness and activate officials and citizens on the issue of LIGHT POLLUTION. Light pollution is caused by excessive, misdirected, artificial (usually external) lighting. Due to light pollution, energy is wasted, astronomical research is hindered, human health is adversely affected, ecosystems are damaged and finally the stars are not visible at night, thus contributing to the loss of our intangible culture.
With 14 distinguished speakers through 5 thematic pillars, we want to contribute to the improvement of the problem, by realizing its consequences and by challenging the use of modern, appropriate and intelligent outdoor lighting networks by local authorities in Greece. The first day is dedicated to scientific issues related to “Light Pollution” and the second to relevant proposals for the implementation of educational activities in schools.
The two-day conference presents, for the first time, the multiple effects of “Light Pollution” in Greek society, and is addressed to:
- Lighting Engineers, Astronomers, Amateur Astronomers, Doctors
- Local Government Organizations
- Environmental organizations
- School Communities (students-teachers-parents)
- UNESCO World Geopark Managers
- Journalists involved in the preservation, and promotion of our natural and cultural heritage
- Take a look at the Programme. For your participation, fill in the registration form until May 6, 2022, at 14:00. Representatives from the TEE, the KEDE, the Astronomical community, Environmental Organizations will be present at the debate on May 16, where there will be the opportunity for online questions. Participants will receive a certificate of participation.
Together we will preserve the “Dark Skies”